Friday, October 2, 2009

People can go away

One thing that really takes me out of serenity is how people politely say one thing and then do something quite different. "I'll call you" or "I'm leaving to pursue my gifts" when you know full well they are not going to call you nor are they leaving because they want to use their gifts. People can be selfish!

Spare me too from the explanations of polite society demanding that we spare each other's feelings by saying such meaningless things. You want to leave because you want to, or you don't like someone, or you think you are better than someone else.

Who is really afraid? I'm not afraid to hear that you don't like me. I'm not afraid to know that you think you are better than me. I am not shy about "polite disagreement". In fact, I would say two things. One, that polite disagreement is a lost art in society because people do not like to invest themselves emotionally into a situation or simply do not have the time to deal with differing opinion. The other is that people who practice "polite" lying are simply afraid of the truth: They are selfish people. In the end, we don't say we are leaving, but tell a polite lie because we know our reasons project the wrong image we would like to have. We want to be good people, but sometimes we don't like someone and we are afraid that people will think we are bad people for feeling that way.

In addition, if we were truthful about our intentions, we know deep down that they could be resolve and be convinced to stay. Our reasons for leaving a friendship or a church, or a club are sometimes nothing more than shallow. Well, I am not afraid of shallow people.

Perhaps if we were more honest, then we would be forced to think about our lives a bit more and maybe, just maybe, we would become better people....

and I wouldn't have to bitch about it in some blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment